Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Human Heart A Day*52

Attention!!! Anyone who does not wish to see a dead bird and its innards please look away for this one..P.S. I did not kill anything by the way..


So last week my bestie and I were having our usual after chiro walk when I found this AMAZING rainbow lorikeet laying dead on the ground, covered in ants..Seriously my best find so far...
Anyone who knows me is aware of my obsession with dead things, but since I refuse to kill anything I have to rely on road kill..


Anyway, I have been researching taxidermy via the net for a while now but wasn't sure if I'd ever have the guts to cut anything open..So im very proud to say I finally faced my fears and sliced open and gutted my very first animal..Was so scary at first but turned out being quite fun and a weirdly awesome bonding experience for my mother and I..She guided me through what I had to do, as a child she used to watch her mum prepare the chickens..


After gutting and cleaning out the little birdie I filled it with salt and put it in a salt bath..This is technically mummification not taxidermy, so should take about 35 days in salt to preserve it properly...Dying to see if its worked and of course, the Heart lover kept its Heart.. <3


Birdie Heart, now living in a jar of meths on my bed side table..

Birdie Heart, lungs and intestines..




Birdie gutted with its intestines, lungs
and Heart in the background



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you, I Heart all feedback.. <3